Thursday, December 6, 2007

Another Lesson Learned

Well, once again I have given myself the opportunity to learn from my mistakes. I thought I might be able to laminate the spacers and coaming together before putting them on the cockpit opening. Unfortunately, when I tried bending it down to the curve of the deck, the coaming broke in two places (see picture for illustration). In my zeal to get the boat finished before it got too much colder, I didn't allow for the lamination creating a far stiffer unit than the individual layers. This is the same stiffness formed by laminating the deck beams; I've got no one to blame but myself.

So now, I get to redraw and recut the coaming. This time I'm going to draw the template on poster board and (hopefully) end up with better shaped pieces. Glad I bought the full sheet of 6mm plywood even though the plans called for a half sheet; means I already have the material to use.

No comments: