Sunday, September 23, 2007

Glass and Beams

Making progress slowly but surely. Didn't do as much as I'd hoped this weekend as I had to build a new set of stairs on the deck.

I did manage to finish sanding the boat, filled in some gaps and low spots, and drape the cloth. I hope to start saturating it with epoxy this week. It will take at least two coats (and more likely three or four) to fully fill in the weave. I need to buy a few 3" foam rollers to aid in doing this quickly and cleanly. The first coat needs to be squeegee'd on; I already have everything I need for that.

I was also able to laminate the two deck beams required for the kayak. These were formed from 1/4"X1-1/2" lattice clamped around a form. The 18" radius beam is shown in the picture on the left; I took it off the form too soon and it sprung apart. The second time, I left it on the form for a full 24 hours.

The final picture today shows the 24" radius beam still on the form. It should be ready to take off tomorrow morning, but will probably wait until later in the day when I get home.

Tomorrow, it's epoxy time!!!

1 comment:

Diabolical Bill said...

So far, so good. Looks nice. Have fun.